Saturday, July 27, 2019

Two Four Four: Alcoves

A girl now in London Town wrote this to me once long ago, about her days at Cambridge back in the mid-Noughts:

And after Formal Hall in Michaelmas, we snuck into the alcoves of Great Court, Trinity College Cambridge. Sex was made, not love, for surely we were fighting then. All around, scholars moved and drank and laughed, and below in the court boisterous Blues yelled to one another.

But we, alone, in the alcove...

That's a lovely image, a lovely fragment. So many things implicit there, so much hidden backstory.

I know the college she was at--- the newest full college at Cambridge, though it dates its own history to 1768.  So I am wondering--- was her lover at Trinity, or did they just sneak in to use the shadows?

If you're a creature of the present year, you'll ask if the lover was male or female, though I'm fairly sure that in this case the lover was male (I almost qualified the word with poshly or boringly).

I wish I knew more of her story here. What did the stars look like above the Great Court, what songs did they hear from the festivities below? How high up in the building was she? What wines could she taste on her lover's lips?

More to the point, what was she wearing? What was she wearing under her dress? I always ask whether a lovely girl is properly panty-fee for adventures and encounters;  that's very much my particular interest.

For surely we were fighting then... What does that mean? Was this purely hate sex--- something I've never understood?  What were she and her lover fighting about? What became of the affair, and of her lover?

So much to know here, so many pieces to fit together to make a complete story, to be able to see her story as a film in my head.

She's in London Town now, successful in her career, quite the young professional. I just wonder how she'd tell the story herself, almost a dozen years on.


No comments: